How To Clean Ceiling Tiles From Mildew – When you see mold on the bathroom ceiling, it can be a little scary. Your bathroom is the perfect breeding ground for mold. If you don’t remove bathroom mold, you and your family could get serious illnesses.
Some of the ways below will help you to clean the ceiling tiles from mildew.
Mold On Bathroom Ceiling
Mold grows quickly, and even more so in bathrooms, which is an unattractive sight. In most cases, mold problems are the result of poor ventilation. Fortunately, there are methods that can help you clear up mold.
What Is Mold On The Bathroom Ceiling?
Ceiling mold is mold that grows on your ceiling above your shower cubicle and the corners of your ceiling due to poor air circulation in your bathroom space. Mold needs moisture to grow, so to prevent mold, you need to protect your bathroom from excess moisture buildup.
The fungus causes serious disease and severe structural damage. Physical symptoms include nasal congestion, skin irritation, and other health problems. The most severe allergic reactions to mushrooms include breathing problems and can even cause pulmonary bleeding. If you have a weakened immune system, you don’t want to take any chances with mushrooms.
Types of Fungus On Bathroom Ceiling
Fungus On Bathroom Ceiling
Of all the mold species, about a dozen are a threat to your home. Let’s take a look at the most common types of mold so you can learn more about the risks and how to prevent them from growing on your bathroom ceiling.
This mushroom is pink, gray, orange, or white. It prefers tight, wet areas such as humidifiers, drain pans, and window coverings. This can lead to problems such as bone marrow and immune system diseases.
is only dangerous for those with allergies or asthma. It will start by causing coughing, itchy eyes, and other problems. These are warning signs. Usually found in bathrooms and looks like green and brown hair.
This type of fungus appears in pumpkin-shaped spores. It can be found in many different colors as it is a species of fungus. For more info, see the diseases this type of fungus can cause as told by the CDC.
This fungus is found on the surface of wood. They are pink, brown, or black in color and change with age.
This fungus looks like cotton but changes color the longer it sticks to your ceiling. It grows after severe water damage, so keep an eye out for mold spores in the area.
This mushroom has a suede or leather texture and is green or brown in color. This fungus attacks the carpet.
This mushroom is pink, white, or red. It is often found in food and is harmful.
This thick white mold is an unattractive sight found on carpets or on other surfaces that are exposed to condensation, such as air conditioning units. As a toxigenic fungus, it is dangerous. You will need to do regular mildew tests on your carpets and keep an eye on your HVAC unit. If you don’t get rid of the fungus and ignore it for a long time, it will produce mycotoxins.
This blue-green fungus has a smooth texture. These are often found where there is water damage. It can be dangerous as it moves through the air. Like other poisonous mushrooms, if you ignore them, they will cause health problems.
This slimy green or black fungus is a black fungus. It is dangerous and is often found in dark and damp places. You should monitor shower cubicles, wall tiles, basements, and other damp areas to prevent mold growth.
This hairy white and green fungus can be found on wallpaper and fabrics. It is most commonly found near HVAC units due to its high moisture content. This can cause health problems but is not serious if the fungus is treated.
This black fungus is often confused with Stachybotrys because the two look similar. However, this fungus is not as dangerous as other types of black mold on the bathroom ceiling. To make sure you know what you’re getting into, hire a professional before trying to remove it.
Is Bathroom Ceiling Mold Dangerous?
Mold On Bathroom Ceilings
If you’re used to mold spores or black mold, you know they grow in areas of high humidity. Bathroom ceilings are an ideal environment for mold growth. Also, mold spores thrive in dimly lit places.
However, this doesn’t mean you should leave the lights on in your bathroom, but it does mean that you should try to prevent moisture from building up.
How to Prevent Mold Growth on Bathroom Ceilings
According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), if the mold is less than 3 x 3 feet, or 9 square feet wide, then you can get the mold removed without asking outside professional help. If you want to spend some money, a bathroom fan will help prevent mold and mildew problems.
Follow these steps to remove mold and mildew from your bathroom ceiling:
Step 1: Protective Equipment
You need eye protection, gloves, and a mask in the first place. If your bathroom has a window, open it and turn on the fan.
Step 2: Mix Cleaning Solution The
mixture is one part bleach and three parts water. Fill a spray bottle with the mixture and shake it.
Step 3: Spray Cleaning Solution On The Affected Area
Spray the bathroom ceiling wherever there is mold and mildew. However, since it’s on the ceiling, it’s best not to spray too much as the mixture will drip onto the floor.
Step 4: Let Soak
Let soak for 10-15 minutes. A longer time may damage the ceiling while a shorter time may not be effective.
Step 5: Lightly
Scrub Gently scrub the Fungus area of the ceiling with a scrub brush. Do not damage the ceiling, but apply enough pressure so that the fungus peels off without lifting the paint on the ceiling.
Bathroom Ceiling Mold Removal Option
Bleach isn’t your only option when it comes to fighting mold spores from your bathroom ceiling.
Alternative Bleach When Killing Mold
Fungus On Bathroom Ceiling
Sometimes, bleach is not the best remedy, but only you can make that decision. Here is another option that you may find useful. Let’s take a look at some solutions that are easy to build and use.
Hydrogen peroxide is a great solution that you probably already have at home. Just put a 3 percent concentration of hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle. Spray test on the Mushroom surface to make sure it doesn’t cause discoloration.
Spray the area with hydrogen peroxide and leave it on for 15 minutes. Then, rub gently with a cloth or scrub brush. The fungus should come off unless it has been there for a long time.
vinegar White vinegar is another option that can deal with most mold spores, especially if the mushrooms are caught early. Let it soak for a few minutes and rinse. This should do the trick for 80% of Mushrooms, with a stronger solution needed for the other 20 percent. But there’s nothing wrong with trying vinegar before using chemicals or even peroxide.
Baking soda and warm water
Baking soda attacks mold by absorbing moisture and using its texture to attract spores to the top when you wash the baking soda off with a clean cloth. Fill a spray bottle with warm water and add a tablespoon or two of baking soda. Spray onto the surface and scrub. If this doesn’t work, let it soak for a few minutes before scrubbing it off.
Can essential oils do anything? According to essential oil advocates, yes. They use tea tree oil to remove the fungus on the spot. Mix a teaspoon of the oil with a cup of water and spray it on the affected area.
Let it dry for an hour or so and then wipe it off with a dry cloth. If you are prone to breakouts, wear gloves as essential oils can irritate those with sensitive skin. If this works, then you are home free and as safe as possible.
Lemon is a natural fragrance and cleanser. Spray some lemon juice on the area and let it soak for a few minutes before trying to remove the fungus as you would with bleach, peroxide, and vinegar.